Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hello world! About me

Hmmm...  writers block is such a terrible thing.  A blank page can be so intimidating.  I've always wanted a way to give back to the profession and help other teachers out... in the past I designed a website, but it didn't just seem to be what I wanted it to be - I felt a little isolated.  I like how blogger allows teachers to connect to other teachers and follow their bogs to get ideas.   So here goes the start of something new.  :-)

About me:

My name is Jessie and I am 30 years old.  I have been married to my husband Chase for about a year and half, and we have a 5 month old son Matthew.  I graduated from high school in 2000, and received a BA in elementary education in the fall of 2004.  When I graduated, Kansas had just been hit by the recession and elementary teaching jobs became extremely scarce (2000 applicants for each posted job).  I have worked 3 years as a teachers aid (5th, 6th, and 8th grade), 3 years as a special education teacher (Kindergarten-fifth grade), 1 year as a substitute teacher (pre-school - 8th grade), and currently work this year as a Kindergarten teacher for a private christian pre-school.  In 2007 I went back to graduate school to study ESL, adaptive special education, early childhood, and curriculum and instruction.  In May of 2012 I will receive my masters in curriculum and instruction.

My life dream:  I love teaching Kindergarten - second grade.  I prefer to have my own classroom verses a resource room. 

My teaching style: I am a very hands on teacher.  I believe students learn best when they can see, hear, talk about, and manipulate the curriculum.   I also believe that teachers need to add as much science, social studies, and art into the curriculum as possible.  Teaching these subjects are what inspires our students to want to learn how to read, write, study, and create.  Give a child a simple book with simple words to learn to read and most of them get bored... give a child a dinosaur book with simple words that teach them about dinosaurs and it gets them excited and makes them WANT to read more to learn more.


Hopefully this blog will allow you to see into my classroom and find tips that you can use in your classroom or at home with your own students.

Mrs. Jessie Fishel

No comments:

Post a Comment